Monday, January 25, 2010

Book Review: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty



With the month of January almost over, I have finished my first book of the year. I was given a Borders gift card for Christmas. Usually I spend those immediately, but I held off in order to make an informed purchase. As I stated in a previous entry, I have quite a few books that I need to read. For some reason, I just have not been motivated to read them. Anyway, I finally spent my gift card two weekends ago. I decided to buy Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Both of those books were on my TBR list.
I decided to read Sloppy Firsts first. I wanted a light-hearted read to ease me into the goal of reading 25 books this year. This book was a great choice. There was a smile on my face the entire time I was reading it. When it was over I literally yelled “What? It’s Over?” out loud. If it hadn’t been 8:00 on a Monday night, I would have gotten in the car and driven to the bookstore (which is 30 minutes away).

Sloppy Firsts is about sixteen year old Jessica Darling whose best friend, Hope, has just moved away. Jessica has trouble relating to her “friends” aptly nicknamed the Clueless Crew. Jessica struggles to decide if it is better to have acceptance and be unhappy or express herself and lose acceptance. She finds an unlikely ally in Marcus Flutie, a socially unacceptable druggie.

It is easy to say that I loved this book. It was not an extremely deep, thought provoking book. However, I could totally relate the Jessica’s internal struggles. I found myself thinking about my own teenage years and wishing this book had been around then. I asked myself many of the same questions that Jessica asked and had many similar experiences. I think almost any female that has lived through high school could relate to this book. If you are looking for a light, feel good read, be sure to pick this book up.

No comments:

Post a Comment